• How do I sign up for class?
If you've been in class with us before, send us an email to let us know which class(es) you'd like to join. Be sure to look through the CLASSES page for dates and fees before emailing us.
If you're new to us, we invite you to meet with us for a brief interview over Zoom, an informal introduction. We set aside a half hour of time for each interview.
• You will present a brief, one to two-minute monologue that you'll choose and prepare in advance.
• This half hour allows time for any questions you might have that you can't find the answer to on our website.
• To request an interview, send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org, including one headshot and your current resume, making sure they are PDF attachments. Your materials will never be shared outside the studio. Let us know that you've read this page through to the end as well.
• Once an interview time is offered to you, it will be up to you to reply and confirm. If we don't receive a reply within a reasonable timeframe, that spot may be offered to someone else.
• Your interview will allow us to recommend specific classes to you. One of our classes might be of particular interest to you, however please keep this in mind: after your interview, trust that we will let you know which of our class(es) would suit you best. We do this with everyone and this allows us to keep every student in mind when curating our classes.
• What kind of monologue should I prepare?
Part of your preparation is to choose your own monologue. The only suggestion we make is to choose material that resonates with you. In addition to that...
• Choose something from a published piece of work: a play or a well-written film or tv show (do not use material you've written yourself).
• Let it be brief, one to two minutes at the most. Quality over quantity.
• Be fully memorized and off-book. Do not read off the page during the interview.
• What happens after the interview?
We'll email you an invitation to join the class(es) discussed in your interview. Once you decide to sign up, payment is required to secure your spot in class.
• What method of payment do you accept?
We accept payments via Interac eTransfer through online banking. We will email the details to you after your interview.
• What if I'm new to acting and I don't even have a resume?
Congrats and welcome to the journey! Everyone starts where you are right now, we've all been there and most of us remember it well. We're right in it with you because the training and curiosity should never stop, regardless of the experience one has. We have a place for just about everyone, whether you're 18 and have 10 years of experience under your belt, or you're 80 and taking your first class.
• No Headshot? Not to worry. When you email us to request an interview, include just one decent selfie that shows the real you. Examples of good headshots and framing here: https://www.theportraitsessionsphotography.com/headshot
• No Resume? No problem. However, many incorrectly believe that a resume is only for tv and film credits but this is not the case. Especially if you're new, your resume should include any and all acting-related training and experience. If you've taken just one class, you should have a resume. If you don't know what an actor's resume looks like, let us know and we'll send you a template to use as a guide for putting one together.
• If you truly have no experience at all, just let us know this when you email us. Remember to include your selfie in the same email as your request for an interview. Please feel free to let us know if you have additional questions.
• How many times do I have to interview? How much does it cost?
Just once, and there is no fee. We're happy to make the time for it.
• Can I audit a class?
Our classes are meant to be a sanctuary for actors. We put a lot of respect into the space to give our students complete freedom to work, to fail, to discover, and to make mistakes. The interviews are held in lieu of auditing and our students appreciate not being "assessed" or observed by curious onlookers. An interview is available to anyone considering studying with us.
• Why do you interview everyone before they can sign up for a class?
We invite everyone new to Railtown to interview with us, regardless of experience or resume. It is definitely not an audition though. We curate our classes thoughtfully, taking into account our students' personalities, experience and commitment level. The half hour we set aside for the interview is meant to be an opportunity for you to get a sense of our approach to the work before you step into class. You'll discuss your goals in training with one of our instructors and your monologue gives us a chance to see you share your work. You might be given an adjustment or two and we may also have questions for you. This, in turn, gives you a sample of what it's like to work with us. The most important aspect of this is that it allows us to know which of our classes would be best for you to take, based partly on how your interview goes and on how our classes are already coming together.
• Do you have a COVID Policy in place?
We require proof of full vaccination to attend class. This and more protocols are in place and we send this info out before the first session of each class: https://railtownactors.com/covidprotocols
* * * * *